Pill Swallowing Kits
To support children and young people struggling with oral medication- specially designed cups, instructions, practice tablets, and a reward chart. Available on request.
Koala Kids Cuddle Buddy Program
Every child and young person undergoing treatment can choose their own buddy – over 75 different soft toy animals, birds and creatures of the ocean. Each buddy comes with a certificate of ownership.
Koala Kids Happy Bags
Every family in the Children’s Cancer Centres is gifted a drawstring backpack filled with practical hospital items and customised with something special for each member of the family.
We Believe Happy Helps Art Therapy Program
Designed for children and young people in treatment – includes a pencil case, backpack and a faux canvas featuring art work designed by volunteer artist and available from all Children’s Cancer Centre receptions and Peter Mac.
School Holiday Program
Half day sessions for pre-school and young primary school aged children including song, music, craft and play, often seasonally themed, provided by Carnival for Kids.
Artist in Residence Program
Themed art and craft sessions provided by The Art Cabriolet for toddlers and preschool patients, siblings and families at Monash Children’s Cancer Centre.
Other Activities and Resources
- Tubs filled with stickers, LipSmackers, Band-Aids, washing powders sachets and gift cards will be replenished on request.
- Small items to be kept in the gift cupboard stocked for children with cancer, siblings, parents and carers.
- Colouring and activity books for children of all ages
- Provision of magazine subscriptions to popular titles over various demographics are available and are renewed on request.
- Support of social workers events in the form of food and beverages and consumables.
- Morning and Afternoon tea parties.
- Custom made pizza lunches.
- Casual activity and craft sessions.
- Provision of popular DVD titles over age relevant classifications.
- Lucky Dips are available for children in treatment by request to encourage them to have their treatment or as a reward.
- Book Club with monthly guest authors and illustrators.
- Knitting circles with patterns, wools and knitting needles for children, young people and adults
- Cakes, small gifts and a range of novelty treats on children’s birthdays and to celebrate milestone treatments and end of treatment.
- Small food and iconic items to celebrate local, national and international events throughout the year – Easter, Mothers’ and Fathers’ Day, Halloween Christmas etc.
- A memorial candle and appropriate books for parents and siblings of bereaved families
- Relevant activities and special items for children and young people who are being cared for palliatively.
Exclusively for Children and Young People Attending Peter Mac:
- Provision of a superhero costume plus themed age relevant resources, books, stickers, games, DVD’s, dolls and end of treatment certificate
- Special birthday cake and end of treatment chocolate pizzas
Note to Families
Please ask therapists or family liaison coordinators for further details on any of the Koala Kids items or activities. Feel free to contact us if you have any queries.